Tuesday 23 December 2008

Drop spindle - winding on


A few people have been kind enough to ask me how I wind my spun yarn onto the spindle.
Here's the reply I gave to one of them:
Basically, when I start to wind on, I wind crosses instead of parallel coils and always lay the next coil next to the one before and never on top. I started doing this because I read that it was a method of stopping the yarn moving round on a notchless spindle (It doesn’t, by the way)
I usually start by winding the spun yarn onto my fingers in a figure of eight before starting to put it on the spindle so I have more control.

The fibre is 'Mistral' BFL from Pigeonroof Studios and the spindle one of my favourites; a 2" Goldings ringspindle in lignum vitae weighing in at .95 oz

2 comments:

Louiz said...

That is phenomenally neat! And looks gorgeous.

Mumshomemadelove said...

I am still amazed as to how neat this is, well done again (BobbinD)

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from LUknitter. Make your own badge here.